csf.dirwatch - what does it watch by default?

sneader

csf.dirwatch - what does it watch by default?

Post by sneader »

Currently my csf.dirwatch file is empty (which is the default). I would like to add some things to it, but I noticed that I already get alerts like this:

============

lfd on example.com: System Integrity checking detected a modified system file

The following list of files have FAILED the md5sum comparison test. This means that the file has been changed in some way. This could be a result of an OS update or application upgrade. If the change is unexpected it should be investigated:

/usr/bin/abrt-action-analyze-backtrace: FAILED
/usr/bin/abrt-action-analyze-c: FAILED
/usr/bin/abrt-action-analyze-oops: FAILED

============

So, it would appear that dirwatch is already watching /usr/bin at least. I did quite a bit of searching and reading, and I can't seem to find what directories dirwatch is already watching (or maybe this alert isn't related to csf.dirwatch??)

And if I add new directories to csf.dirwatch, does it override the defaults directories?

Any help would be appreciated.

- Scott
Sergio

Re: csf.dirwatch - what does it watch by default?

Post by Sergio »

CSF will watch all the system files, so, if any change is done you will receive an email, it doesn't use csf.dirwatch it uses its own rules.

On the other hand, csf.dirwatch is for your own files to check, in there you can write rules specific for files or directories, an example could be:
/home/user/public_html/.htaccess
with this rule you are telling csf.watch to check if any change is made to the file .htaccess for the account "user" and you will receive an alert.

Of course in csf.dirwatch you can write rules specifics for the operating system, but that is already done in CSF.

Sergio